John William Waterhouse was an English painter known for working in the Pre-Raphaelite style. He was alive from 1849 to 1917 and was fascinated with Ancient Hellas. Early on in his artistic career, he began focusing on the creation of large canvas works depicting scenes from the daily life and mythology of ancient Hellas. His work has always appealed greatly to me. His "Magic Circle" was probably thirty percent responsible for my interest in witchcraft, and to this day, his depictions of ancient Hellenic mythology and life are what comes to mind when I picture these. I am a little shocked his work has never featured on my blog before, so let me correct that today with a selection of my favorites.


Ulysses and the Sirens (1891)

Hylas with a Nymph (1893)

Hylas and the Nymphs (1896)

Echo and Narcissus (1903)

A Sick Child brought into the Temple of Aesculapius (1877)

Consulting the Oracle (1884)